WORCESTER ST. JOHN BEDWARDINE, Worcestershire
"WORCESTER ST. JOHN BEDWARDINE, (or Bedwardine St. John's), a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, in the county of Worcester, partly within the bounds of the city of Worcester. It lies on the west bank of the river Severn, and contains the village of Wick Episcopi, situated on the river Teme, near its confluence with the Severn. Bread and provisions were supplied to the monks of Worcester from this place, from which circumstance its name is supposed to be derived."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Worcester St John Bedwardine from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.