GENUKI Home page    Acomb Parish<br>main page Acomb
Parish
main page

ACOMB:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ACOMB, a parish in the Ainsty, county of York, 2 miles W. of York. It is situated near the river Ouse and Sivers Hill, the spot on which the body of the Roman Emperor Severus was burnt. The Great Northern railway passes through it. It contains the townships of Dringhouses and Knapton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £109, in the patronage of E. Barlow, Esq. It is a peculiar which formerly belonged to the treasurer of the Cathedral Church of York, and was surrendered with the rectory to the crown in 1547. James I., in 1609, granted it to Thomas Newark and his heirs. The church, which is small and ancient, stands on rising ground, and is dedicated to St. Stephen. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There are two lunatic asylums, a free school founded by Lady Hewley, and a national school. The new waterworks for the city of York are at Acomb."


"DRINGHOUSES, a township in the parishes of York Holy Trinity Micklegate, York St Mary Bishophill the Elder, and Acomb, York Ainsty, in the county of York, 1 mile S.E. of York. It is situated on the York and Tadcaster road. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in brick and tile making. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £100, in the patronage of Dr. Wilkinson, who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to Edward the Confessor. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. It is a meet for the York Ainsty hounds."


"KNAPTON, a township in the parish of Acomb, York Ainsty, county York, 1 mile W. of Acomb, and 3 N.W. of York."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016