St Stephen's Church stands in grounds on the northern side of The Green at its eastern end, where it meets the York Road. Built on a hill, a Saxon church stood here originally, before being replaced by a medieval building. Parts of the original Saxon church were uncovered in 1830, when the church was rebuilt and enlarged between then and 1831. The architect was G T Andrews (who was also the architect of York's first railway station, which still survives as railway offices).
In 1851, the porch of the Saxon chancel was taken down and the present chancel erected. On 19 December 1992 the church was set ablaze by two boys who broke in through the toilets. Following extensive restoration work the church was rededicated on 17 September 1994. Acomb Allowed Meeting (Quakers) started nearby, in the Foresters' Hall, Acomb, in 1906. They bought Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel on Acomb Green in 1911, and continued until after 1956. [The History Files]
Photograph supplied by and Copyright of Colin Hinson. If you wish to contact the copyright owner, please use this page.
St. Stephen's Church is located at OS Grid Ref. SE5725351441