[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"ASKHAM RICHARD, a parish, 5 miles SW. of York. (Askam-House, the seat of Robert Swann, Esq.) The church here is a neat ancient structure, a vicarage, endowed in 1329, and dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches
for photograph), Patron, Harry Croft, Esq. there is also a newly erected Methodist chapel. Population, 249."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]