The Ancient Parish of BILTON
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BILTON, a parish in the liberty of St. Peter's;
(Bilton Park, the seat of Richard Fountayne Wilson, Esq.) 5 miles ENE. of
Wetherby. The church, peculiar, is a vicarage. It is a small edifice, of Saxon
architecture, which is dedicated to St. Helen (see Churches for photograph). Here is a small school,
endowed by the late Hall Plumer, Esq. Population, 223."
"BICKERTON, in the parish of Bilton; 4 miles NE. of Wetherby. Population, 149."
"TOCKWITH, in the parish of Bilton, 7.5 miles N. of Tadcaster. At the
commencement of the memorable battle of Marston Moor, in the year 1644, the
front of the Parliament's army extended from the North end of Marston Moor to
this village, a distance of nearly 3 miles. Here is a small neat Methodist
chapel, built in the year 1796, and a Sunday school for 100 children.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
St. Helen's Church, Bilton in Ainsty - view 1.
St. Helen's Church, Bilton in Ainsty - view 2.
The former Wesleyan Church, Bilton in Ainsty, founded in 1845, now a private dwelling.
Church of Epiphany, Tockwith - view 1.
Church of Epiphany, Tockwith - view 2.
The Methodist Church, Tockwith, for sale in April 2007.
The ex Wesleyan Sabbath School, Tockwith, founded in 1861.
- Tockwith, (a township in this parish) was, by an Order in
Council, constituted a separate parish in 1866. See
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014