|Yorkshire||The AinstyYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BISHOPTHORPE, a parish, anciently St. Andrew's Thorp; 3 miles S. of York. The palace of the Archbishop of York, built by Walter de Grey, in the early part of the thirteenth century, is situated here (see Churches for photograph). Since that time the house has undergone several reparations by the succeeding Archbishops. The gardens contiguous to the palace, were laid out almost wholly at the expense of Archbishop Sharpe: and the house received great alterations from Archbishops Dawes, and Gilbert, but the most considerable improvements were made by Archbishop Drummond. Nor did this prelate confine his munificence to the palace; he took down and re-built the parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the year 1766 (see Churches for photograph), and adorned it with a curious window, which was brought together with the stone used in building the gateway in front of the palace, from the castle of Cawood. There is here a National School, built in 1815, patronized and supported by the present Archbishop and his family, of which Mr. Thomas Richardion, is master. Population, 301."