"APPLETON ROEBUCK, in the parish of Bolton Percy; 8 miles SW. of York. Here is a neat brick-built chapel, belonging to the Methodists of the Old Connexion, erected about three years ago; likewise a good National School house, for sixty boys and fifty girls, built by subscription in 1817, patronized by the Rev. Archdeacon Markham, and supported by voluntary contributions. The situation is very salubrious, and there is living here at present an old man of the name of John Lamb, aged 94 years. Population, 585."
"COLTON, in the parish of Bolton Percy; (the seat of Christopher Morritt, Esq.) 4 miles ENE of Tadcaster. Here is a small school endowed with £6 per annum."
"HORNINGTON, in the parish of Bolton Percy; 2.5 miles ESE. of Tadcaster."
"NUN APPLETON, in the parish of Bolton Percy; (the seat of Sir Wm. Mordaunt Sturt Milner, Bart.) 6 miles S E. of Tadcaster. Here is a Chapel, of which Sir W.M. Milner is Patron.
Here was formerly a Priory, for Nuns of the Cistercian Order; founded in the reign of King Stephen, by Alice de St. Quintin; and among the injunctions prescribed to the Nuns of this house in the year 1489, are the following:- "That the cloister doors be shut up in winter at seven, and in summer at eight at night, and the keys delivered to the prioress.- That the prioress and all the sisters lodge nightly in the dorter, unless sick or diseased. That none of the sisters use the ale-house, or the waterside, where the course of strangers daily resort. That none of the sisters have their service of meat and drink to their chambers, but keep the frater and the hall, unless sick. That no sister bring in any man, religious or secular, into their chambers or any secret place, day or night, &c.- That the prioress license no sister to go a pilgrimage, or visit their friends, without great cause, and then to have a companion. That the convent grant no corodies or liveries of bread, or ale, or other victual, to any person, without special licence. That they take in no perhendinauncers or sojourners, unless children, or old persons, &c." On the 5th of December, 1540, this Monastery was surrendered, and afterwards became a ruin.
In 1552, Robert Darkual, the grantee, alienated the site and premises of this Priory to Sir William Fairfax, Knight, and Humphrey Shelley. Upon this site Thomas, Lord Fairfax, built a handsome house, which, with the estate, was purchased by Mr. Alderman Milner, of Leeds, who upon the marriage of his son, Sir William Milner, Bart. created in 1716, settled it upon him and his son. --Burton. --Dugdale. It is now enjoyed by the present Baronet.
Sir William Mordaunt Sturt Milner succeeded his father, Sir William Mordaunt, September 9, 1811, married, first in 1804, the daughter of the Right Hon. Theophilus Clements, and grand daughter of the Right Hon. John Beresford:- Sir William married, second, May 8, 1809, Henrietta, daughter of Lord Edward Bentick, son of William, second Duke of Portland. Heir presumtive, his brother Charles. Creation, February 29th, 1716."
"STEETON, in the parish of Bolton Percy, 3 miles ENE. of Tadcaster. Pop. 83.
Steeton hath for some ages been the seat of the ancient and honourable family of Fairfax. It was, by the Conquerors survey, in the possession of Osbern de Arches. Sir John Chamont, knight, was owner of the greatest part of the lands here, in the reign of Edward III. and had issue two daughters --Joan, who was a nun, and Margaret, married to William, Lord Mowbray. In this manor was anciently five carucates and a half of land; whereof Richard de Steeton, held four and a half of Walter de Falconbridge; who held the same of the heirs of Brus, and they of the Barons Mowbray; who held them of the King, in capite, at the annual rent of seven-pence halfpenny. Another carucate was of the fee of Percy, as of his baronry of Spofford; whereof, the Abbot of St. Mary's at York, held the one half, and the Prioress of Appleton the other. It became, afterwards, the seat, of Sir Guy Fairfax, knight; one of the judges of the King's Bench, in the times of Edward IV. and Henry VII. --Drake. It hath ever since continued in a younger branch of his family and it is now enjoyed by Thomas Luddington Fairfax, of Newton, Esq. being the present possessor."
"STREET HOUSES, in the parishes of Bolton Percy and Bilbrough, 3 miles NE. of Tadcaster. This hamlet took its name from its vicinity to the Roman road the from York to Tadcaster. All the Roman roads being firmly paved with stone, were called streets, as Watling street, &c. Stratum is the word made use of by the venerable Bade, quite through his work, to denote a Roman road."