Genuki Logo     Acomb;SE5746650448 Parish main page Acomb;SE5746650448
Parish main page
  York Holy Trinity Micklegate;SE5986051548 Parish main page York Holy Trinity Micklegate;SE5986051548
Parish main page
  York St Mary Bishophill the Elder;SE6010051487 Parish main page York St Mary Bishophill the Elder;SE6010051487
Parish main page

DRINGHOUSES:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.

Wapentake of the Ainsty of York - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bishopthorpe - Archdeaconry of York or the West Riding - Diocese of York.

Dringhouses, formerly a chapelry, was constituted a separate parish a few years ago. It comprises the township of that name, containing 636 acres, of which 66 lie within the boundary of the municipal borough of York, The rateable value of the portion without the city is 4,497. It belongs chiefly to G. A. E. Wilkinson, Esq., Audley House, Newmarket, who is also lord of the manor.

The name was variously written in olden times Drynhous, Drynghous, and Drenghouses, and is said to signify the Warriors' Houses, from Drenges, military vassals. It may, however, more probably signify the houses on the paved way, from drynge, Saxon, a paved footroad, and there was in this locality such a footpath, the remains of which were discovered behind the school, about twenty years ago. Three or four miles south-west is the hamlet of Streethouses, so named from the Roman road, or street, on which it stands.

This lordship and estate was anciently held by John, Lord Grey, of Rotherfield, whose ancestors had possessed it since the reign of Richard I, In the 4th of Edward III. (1331), he obtained a charter of free warren in this and divers other manors. Subsequently the estate was inherited by an heiress, who married Sir John Deincourt. Sir John, having no male issue, his estates were divided amongst his daughters.

The village stands on both sides of the highway from York to Tadcaster, about 1 miles from the former place. It contains some good houses, and hard by is Knavesmire, the York racecourse.

The church, dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor, is a handsome stone structure in the decorated Gothic style, erected by Mrs. Leigh, in 1849, at a cost of about 5,000. It consists of nave, chancel, porch, and a small western spire, containing two bells. The roof is open timber work. All the windows are filled with stained glass. That in the east end is a three-light memorial of the late Rev. Edward Trafford Leigh, who was lord of the manor, and died in 1847. The nave is seated with open oak benches, and the chancel with stalls of the same material for the choir. An organ, built by Brindley, of Sheffield, was added in 1868. The living is a new vicarage, value 160, with residence, in the gift of the lord of the manor and incumbency of the Rev. John Nowill Bromehead, A.K.C.

The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, and there are also a National school and a club and reading room.

Dringhouses Moor is a detached hamlet in this township.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]

Directories


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014