"SYNINGTHWAITE, (extra-parochial) 4 miles E. of Wetherby. Formerly there was a priory at this place, founded by Beetram Haget, about the year 1160, for nuns of the Cistercian order. Catharine Foster. the fourteenth and last prioress, surrendered the convent in 1534 (30th Henry VIII.), at which time the annual revenue amounted to £62. 6s. The scite was granted in the year 1539, to Sir Thomas Tempest, Knight. The century before the dissolution of this priory Geoffey, Archbishop of York, took the nuns under his protection, and denounced a malediction against those who should dare to wrong them, and a blessing on their benefactors."