GENUKI Home page    Genuki Home Page GENUKI
Homepage
  Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   The Ainsty The Ainsty

This page contains the Extra-Parochial places for the The Ainsty


"SYNINGTHWAITE, (extra-parochial) 4 miles E. of Wetherby. Formerly there was a priory at this place, founded by Beetram Haget, about the year 1160, for nuns of the Cistercian order. Catharine Foster. the fourteenth and last prioress, surrendered the convent in 1534 (30th Henry VIII.), at which time the annual revenue amounted to 62. 6s. The scite was granted in the year 1539, to Sir Thomas Tempest, Knight. The century before the dissolution of this priory Geoffey, Archbishop of York, took the nuns under his protection, and denounced a malediction against those who should dare to wrong them, and a blessing on their benefactors."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]

Gazetteers

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014