Parish main page
York St Mary Bishophill the Younger;SE5997551467
Parish main page
Wapentake of the Ainsty of York - County Court District of York - Poor Law Union of Great Ouseburn - Rural Deanery of Ainsty - Archdeaconry and Diocese of York.
This parish comprises the townships of Nether and Upper Poppleton which were united for ecclesiastical purposes in 1866. Nether or Water Poppleton lies on the west bank of the Ouse, and has an estimated area of 1,177½ acres, and had in 1881 a population of 293. It is valued for rating purposes at £4,288. The landowners are Andrew Montagu, Esq., Ingmanthorpe Hall, near Wetherby, who is lord of the manor; John Thomas Deighton, Upper Poppleton; Allen Hawkin, Richard W. Skilbeck, Esq., Stonehurst, Rutland Park, Sheffield; Wm. Lancaster, Rev. John Williams, H. Sampson, and E. Legard, Esq. The main line of the North-Eastern railway, passes through the township, and is here joined by the York and Knaresborough branch, on which there is a station a short distance from the village.
The village stands near the river, and is hence sometimes designated Water Poppleton. It is distant from York about four miles N.W. The church is an ancient stone edifice consisting of chancel, nave with gallery at the west end and on the north side, and small bell turret rising from the centre of the roof. The dedication is very uncommon, being that of St. Everilda, a Saxon saint who lived about the middle of the seventh century, and established a convent at Everingham, in the East Riding. The church underwent some slight restoration in 1842, when its dimensions were curtailed by the removal of the north aisle and a low western tower. The style is chiefly Norman with some later alterations, but there are indications of a Saxon edifice having previously occupied the site, In the east window are preserved numerous fragments of ancient stained glass, on one of which appear the words "Everilda Ora," evidently a part of the invocation "Sancta Everilda Ora pro nobis." The old leper window remains on the south side of the chancel. Here the victims of that loathsome disease received holy communion and doles of bread. There are some monumental effigies in the church to members of the family of Archbishop Hutton, some of whom resided here. The living is a new vicarage in the patronage of the Archbishop of York and incumbency of the Rev. John Williams. It is worth £305 a year, derived from 53 acres of glebe, Queen Anne's Bounty, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. This church was appropriated by Osbert de Arches at a very early period to the abbey of St. Mary, York, and it remained in the possession of, and was served by, the monks of that house until the Dissolution. The register commences in the year 1640.
The Free Church Methodists have a place of worship in the village, a small building of brick, bearing the date of 1868.
The Church of England school was founded and endowed by John Dodsworth, an ironmonger of York, in 1797. The present school was erected in 1850 for the accommodation of 90 children, and the original premises were converted into a house for the master. The benefaction board in the church recites that "John Dodsworth, Esq., of York and Nether Poppleton, erected in this parish, 1797, a school-house with a dwelling-house for the master and mistress. This schoolhouse he endowed by deed with £200, five per cent. bank annuities, and by his will he added thereto £50 sterling, which after paying the legacy duty yielded £45. The school to be a general Sunday school for the children of Upper and Nether Poppleton, and a week-day school for a limited number of scholars from these townships, not exceeding ten; the week-day scholars to be elected and the proportion from each township fixed by the managers for the time being."
CHARITIES. - Mr. Dodsworth above mentioned left by will dated 1811, the sum oi £100, the interest thereof to be distributed in bread among the poor in the winter season for ever. There are also other benefactions and Poor's lands producing £13 a year.
UPPER or LAND POPPLETON is an adjoining township containing 1,340 acres, the property of Andrew Montagu, Esq. (lord of the manor), John Thomas Deighton, G. Allen Hawking, exors. of Thomas Kirk, and W. H. Attlay, Esq., Whitby. The rateable value is £2,367, and the population in 1881 was 284.
The village stands a little off the York and Boroughbridge road, about four miles from the former place. The chapel, formerly subject to St. Mary, Bishophill Junior, York, but now united with Nether Poppleton, is of ancient foundation, dating apparently, from the Norman style of the south doorway, from the 12th or 13th century. It comprises chancel and nave, and will seat 120, an accommodation too small for the requirements of the people. A faculty has been obtained for the erection of a larger and more becoming edifice on the site, which will be commenced in the spring of the present year (1890). The designs are by Hodgson Fowler, Esq., of Durham, and the cost will be about £2,000.
The Wesleyan Chapel, now in course of erection to supersede an older one, is an attractive building of fancy white brick. The estimated cost is £1,000. There will be accommodation for 140 worshippers.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.