"RUFFORTH, a parish, partly in the Ainsty and partly in the West Riding county York, 5 miles W. of York, its post town, and 2½ from Hessay railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is principally clay. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1794. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £100. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing two bells. There is a parochial school, also a place of worship for the Wesleyans. J. Clayton, Esq., is lord of the manor and the chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013