Parish main page
Wapentake of the Ainsty of York - County Court District of York - Poor Law Union of Great Ouseburn - Rural Deanery of Ainsty - Archdeaconry and Diocese of York.
The parish of Rufforth, five mile from York and nine from Wetherby, has an area of 2,308 acres, rated at £2,293, with a population at the last census of 272. The greater part of the land is pasture, and a large number of cattle are grazing, but little or no breeding. The produce of the arable land is chiefly barley, oats, and turnips. The soil is clayey.
The lady of the manor is Middlewood, and the principal owners of the land are the Earl of Harewood, Lady Mary Thompson, Andrew Montagu, Esq., George Marwood, Esq.
The church (All Saints), will seat 140, and the patronage belongs to Lady Mary Thompson. The living is worth £160 net, and is now held by Rev. Henry Andrew Wilson, recently appointed.
The Wesleyan chapel built in 1843, and restored in 1884, at a cost of £120, £60 of which was given by Mr. Thomas Parker of York, is a brick building, with comfortable accommodation for 100. The Sunday school, added in 1884, has accommodation for 50, and is separated from the chapel by a movable partition, to allow both rooms to be thrown into one when required.
The Undenominational school is of brick, built about 20 years ago, with accommodation for 60.
At a little distance from the village is Rufforth Hall, a large plain brick house, built in 1860.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.