[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"YORK ST OLAVE, a parish in the city of York, in Marygate (united with St. Giles, which church is no longer standing) This church, which, according to Drake, is the oldest ecclesiastical foundation in York, except the Cathedral, appears to have been built by Siward, Earl of Northumbria, and dedicated to St. Olave the Danish King and Martyr. It is recorded in the Saxon Chronicle that Earl Siward died in 1055, and was buried "within the Minster at Galmano (Marygate), which he ordered to be built and consecrated in the name of God and St. Olave, to the honour of God and all his Saints".
Clifton and Rawcliffe which are in the North Riding were places partly within this parish and partly within York St. Michael le Belfrey in 1823. In 1872 Clifton parish was created, embracing Rawcliffe. - see the page for York St. Michael le Belfrey within the North Riding."