The Ancient Parish of YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"YORK ST MARY BISHOPHILL THE YOUNGER, a parish in the city of York,
in Bishophill-the-Younger, is a vicarage, peculiar, value +10L. p.r. !146L. 4s.
5d. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. --Pop. 767.
Copmanthorpe and Upper Poppleton are detached portions of this parish (see
"COPMANTHORPE, in the parish of York St Mary Bishophill the younger, York, and
a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 4 miles SSW. of York. Here is a chapel
of ease, and a neat Methodist chapel, also, a small school, endowed with £4
per annum for the teaching of eight poor children. Pop. 281."
"UPPER POPPLETON, in the parishes of Nether Poppleton and York St Mary
Bishophill the Younger, in the liberty of St. Peter's, 4 miles NW. of York. The
lands here were formerly in the possession of the Abbot of St. Mary's, at York;
given by Osbern de Arches, to that abbey, almost at its first institution. Sir
Thomas Weddrington writes, that there was a Mayor of York killed at Poppleton,
in the reign of king Richard II. as he conjectures, in some controversy betwixt
the monks and the citizens. Here is a small chapel of ease, which has the
privilege of christenings and burials, but not marriages, and a Methodist
chapel. This village is pleasantly situated within one mile of the river Ouse.
- -(See Nether Poppleton for directory)
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- By an Order in Council, the district embracing the township of Copmanthorpe,
formerly a chapelry in this parish, was constituted a separate parish in 1866. See
- In 1866, Nether Poppleton (wholly in this parish)
and Upper Poppleton (a part in this parish) were united for ecclesiastical purposes and became
separate and distinct parish. See
Nether Poppleton with Upper Poppleton parish.
- Here are photographs of Copmanthorpe about 100 years ago:
A house on the green, Copmanthorpe, now demolished - now the site of the newly built Co-op shop.
Copmanthorpe Main Street, Copmanthorpe, (with old post office, the white building) the farm in the distance has gone and is now shops. All the rest of the buildings are still the same.
Copmanthorpe green, Copmanthorpe. There is a bungalow on the green now. The middle building has been demolished and is now the newly built Co-op shop. The building on the right is still there.
The Royal Oak Inn, Copmanthorpe. The Royal Oak is still there on Main Street but some buildings have been demolished to make pub garden. Lower down is the Co-op shop.
The road to Low Green, Copmanthorpe. House on left still there (opposite the Co-op) and the facing farmhouse still there.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE599499) Nunthorpe
- (SE597503) South Bank
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014