"ACASTER MALBIS, (or Malbysse), a parish, chiefly in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, partly in the ainsty of the City of York, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles S. of York. It was the estate of the Malbisses after the Conquest. It is situated on the river Ouse, which is navigable, and near the North Midland railway. It has a charity school, which was founded and endowed with land by John Knowles in 1603. Fourteen poor children appointed by the feoffees are educated in it. The living is a curacy, value £56, in the diocese of York, in the patronage of F. Lawley, Esq. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity."
"NABURN, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Acaster-Malbis, wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, 4 miles S. of York, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Ouse, close to the ferry, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of clay. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £80. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a stone structure of recent erection, and has a spired tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is a school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Bell Hall, Lincroft Lodge, Deighton Grove, and Naburn Hall are the principal residences-this last is a mansion commanding extensive views of the valley of the Ouse. The Rev. William Palmes is lord of the manor."