|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BARMSTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles S. of Bridlington. A pleasant village situated at the northern extremity of Holderness, it is very near to the North Sea, and is much frequented by the people of the neighbouring villages, who come here to purchase gravel to repair their roads with, which is left in abundance on the shores of Barmston by every tide. The church is a very ancient building, dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. John Gilby is rector; in the interior is a marble monument, representing in full figure a Scotch Lord, in armour, with a griffin at his feet. Population 205.
The nobleman whose memory this monument commemorates was the lord of the manor, which was given to him for his valour and essential services rendered to his country. In 1726, Sir Griffith Boynton founded an Alms-house here, for four old men, and endowed it with a small annual stipend for each. --The repairs and stipend were charged by Sir Griffith upon the manor of Haisthorpe. The old Hall, anciently the residence of the Boynton family, is now occupied as a Farm-house. It is moated round. There is also a school and master's dwelling-house, built by Sir Francis Boynton, Bart, for the accommodation of the place; he is lord of the manor, and patron of the living."
"WINKTON, in the parish of Barmston, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles S. of Bridlington. Long since been swallowed up the sea."