"BEMPTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.E. of Bridlington, its post and Union town. It is pleasantly situated on the sea-coast, and is a station on the Scarborough and Hull branch of the North-Eastern railway. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of York, value £51, in the patronage of H. Broadley, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013