"BIRDSALL, a parish in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.E. from New Malton, containing 240 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Marchioness of Hertford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an elegant structure, erected in 1824, at the expense of Lord Middleton. Henry Burton, a puritan divine, was born in this parish."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]