"BIRDSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, in the East Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S. of New Malton, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £40, in the patronage of the Marquis of Hertford. The church, erected by Lord Middleton in 1824, is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities amount to £3 a year. The chief residence is Birdsall Hall, formerly a seat of Lord Middleton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013