Area, 3,650 acres. Buckrose wapentake. - Population, 244 *1 ; Church-room, 200; Net value, £40. -Archbishop Sharp thought this was one of Walter Espec's Churches, and appropriated to his Priory of Kirkham, within two miles of this place, and was served by one of their Canons.
Patron and impropriator, the Marquis of Hertford.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £13. 6s. 8d.; new taxation £10; in 1707, the Cure was valued at £15; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 431, it is stated: " The minister is paid £10 by the impropriator;" and in 1818, at £49 per annum.
This Church was recently rebuilt by Lord Middleton.
Augmented in 1771 with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1827, with £200; in 1832, with £200; and in 1834, with £200 -all by lot.
Decrees were made in the Exchequer, in Mich. Term, 43rd Elizabeth, and in Mich. Term, 1st Anne, as to tithes, but which are unreported.
No glebe house.
The Register books commence in 1568. A chasm for 1685 and 1686. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Thomas Seller's charity. One fourth part of a rent charge of 40s. per annum for the poor. Paid by Earl Fitzwilliam. Date of gift not stated.
Rothwell's, Willoughby's, and Walter Crompton's doles. Two rent charges of 10s. each, given among the poor. -Vide 9th Report, page 716.
Post town: Malton.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 118. Bodleian MS. No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Briteshale or Breddale) pages 48. 83. 203. 224. 233.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 240.