"BISHOP BURTON, a parish in the Hunslet Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the W. of Beverley, its post town. The archbishops of York had formerly a seat here. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £100, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to All Saints. It stands on a hill in the centre of the village, commanding a fine view over the pleasant landscape around. There is a chapel belonging to the Baptists. The charitable endowments include a free school for 10 children, founded in 1714 by Elizabeth Gee, which has an income of £20 a year; and four almshouses, founded in 1614 by Ralph Hansby, with a revenue of about £72. Burton Hall is the chief residence."