Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for BISHOPSOIL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

BISHOPSOIL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Howdenshire - County Council Electoral Division of Laxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Howden - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

Bishopsoil is a civil parish formed in 1882, of certain detached parts of Asselby, Barmby-on-the-Marsh, Bellasize, Blacktoft, Cotness, Gilberdike, Knedlington, Laxton, Metham, and Yokefleet, but for ecclesiastical purposes these several detached places remain as heretofore. It is a long narrow township, and includes a portion of the village of Gilberdike, but consists chiefly of scattered farmhouses. It is intersected by the Hull and Barnsley railway, on which is a station at Sandholme, near Gilberdike. The total area of the township is a little under 2,000 acres, of which 1,803 are under assessment. The rateable value is £1,647, and the number of inhabitants 153. The principal landowners are J. W. Empson, Esq., Yokefleet Hall; T. S. Clarke, Esq., Knedlington Manor; Mr. Frederick Gelder, 100 Kirkgate, Leeds; Thomas Edward Morrell, Esq., Helaby Hall, near Rotherham; T. P. Brearley, Esq., Portington Grange; Mr. Charles Tomlinson, Goole; and Mrs. Ann Morrell, Gilberdike. Messrs. Liversidge are owners of the great tithes amounting to £15, and £8 is payable to the vicar of Eastrington.

The district is very level, and was, little more than a century ago, waste land or common, known as Bishopsoil, from being within the Bishop of Durham's manor of Howden, on which the owners of certain adjacent ancient farmsteads had right of common of pasture for all their cattle, levant and couchant, and also common of turbary. It was of very little value to the common-right owners as it was in several places frequently under water. In 1767, an Act was obtained to enclose, drain, divide, and allot Bishopsoil to the ancient farms, having right of stray thereon. A great part of it consists of very poor land, scarcely worth the labour bestowed upon it. The soil is sand, clay, moor or bog land, and in some places a mixed soil; wheat, oats, barley, turnips, and potatoes are the crops most generally cultivated. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and receive 6d. per acre as bishop's rights.

There is a Wesleyan chapel at Gilberdike, in Bishopsoil township.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016