"BRIDLINGTON, (or Burlington), a parish, seaport, and market town in the wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 40 miles to the E. of York, and 204 miles to the N. of London by the Great Northern, and the Scarborough, Bridlington, and Hull section of the North-Eastern railway. It is an extensive parish, embracing an area of 13,236 acres, and is situated in a tract of flat country, extending for some distance southward along the coast of the North Sea. It includes, besides the old town, Bridlington Quay, the chapelries of Grindall, Sewerby, and Speeton, and the townships of Buckton, Easton, and Hilderthorpe. Bridlington (once written Brellington) is an ancient town. It is a question among antiquaries whether it was the site of a Roman station. The Danes for a long time held their ground in this part of the country, which was the scene of many conflicts. There are still remains of extensive earthworks in the neighbouring wolds, and many tumuli, both of Danish and Saxon origin. About the time of the Conquest the manor belonged to Earl Morcar, but was subsequently given by the Conqueror to one of his nephews. The most important fact in the early history of this place is the foundation of its priory in the reign of Henry I. by Walter de Gaunt, who at that time held the manor. It was for canons of the Augustine order, and by royal leave was fortified, to protect it from assault by sea. Many important privileges were granted to the priors, and the endowments and possessions of the house were of immense extent, so that, after flourishing for more than 400 years, its revenue amounted to about £682 per annum. The last prior being executed as a traitor, the possessions of the priory were forfeited to the crown, and soon after (in 1539) the conventual buildings were taken down. During the civil war in the reign of Charles I., his queen, having procured a supply of arms in the Netherlands, escaped the notice of the squadron stationed to intercept her, and effected a landing here under the convoy of Van Tromp. The town was then cannonaded for several hours by Admiral Batten. A combat took place in 1779, in Bridlington Bay, between the adventurer, Paul Jones, with foul vessels, and two British warships. The latter were taken, and carried off as prizes to Texel. The town, which consists chiefly of one long street, is situated about a mile from the coast, on ground rising gradually towards the north. The streets are narrow and irregular, and many of the houses old and poorly built. The town is lighted with gas, there is a good supply of water, and many improvements have been made of late years. There is a market-place with a new corn exchange, built in 1856, and a room in the old gateway of the priory is used as the townhall. Bridlington Quay, a small, well-built, modern town, stands pleasantly in a recess of the bay, about a mile to the S.E. of Bridlington. It forms the port, and has become a favourite and much-frequented bathing-place. It has several good streets, the principal running down to the harbour, and is lighted with gas. It contains the custom-house, the baths, and the Victoria and Polytechnic rooms. The beach is firm and sandy. The two piers, constructed of stone for forming the harbour, make a delightful promenade, commanding good views over the bay, and of Flamborough Head, which encloses it on the N. Near the Quay is a chalybeate spring, and in the harbour an ebbing and flowing spring covered by every tide. It was discovered in 1811, and yields an abundant supply of pure water. Bridlington contains a small hat factory, several corn-mills, and a steam-mill for grinding bones. A good general trade is carried on with the towns and villages of the neighbourhood, and the resort of visitors for sea-bathing has contributed to the growth and prosperity of the place. The port is subordinate to the port of Hull, and has between 30 and 40 vessels belonging to it, which are chiefly engaged in the coasting trade. Corn, malt, and bones are the principal exports, and coal, timber, and general merchandise are imported. The harbour covers an area of 11 acres, and is the best on that part of the coast, affording a safe retreat for many coasting vessels in bad weather. The bay, too, being well-sheltered from N. and N.W. winds, offers good and safe anchorage. The harbour is dry at low water. A coastguard is stationed here. Bridlington is the seat of a Poor-law Union and the head of a County Court district. It is also a polling-place for the riding. Petty sessions are held in the town. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, of the value of £130, in the patronage of the trustees of the Rev. C. Simeon. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is part of the ancient conventual church, and forms the most interesting feature of the town. The original structure appears to have been above 330 feet in length, and had two fine towers at the western end, the lower portions of which only remain. One of the towers and the north aide of the church is in the early English, and the western front of the building chiefly in the perpendicular style. In architectural beauty this front resembles the fine church of Beverley. The window is 55 feet high and 27 feet broad. A thorough repair and restoration of the structure was effected a few years ago. The dimensions of the present church are -length, 185 feet; breadth, 68 feet; and height, 60 feet. In addition to the parish church there are three new churches: one at Bridlington Quay, erected about the year 1840. It is called Christ Church, and is in the early English style. The living is a perpetual curacy,* worth £150, in the gift of the Incumbent of Bridlington. The other two are situated, one at Sewerby, and the other at Speeton; the livings of both are perpetual curacies, the former value £181, in the patronage of G. J. Yarburgh, Esq., the latter, value £50, in the gift of Lord Londesborough. There are chapels in Bridlington belonging to the Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and for the two latter bodies and the Methodist Reformers at Bridlington Quay. The boys' free school, founded in 1637 by William Hustler, has an income from endowment of £40 a year. There are also a free school for girls, endowed in 1671, National and infant schools. The private schools are numerous; and there are public libraries, a mechanics' institute, and a museum. Fossil remains abound in the chalk cliffs along this coast, and in a freshwater deposit of the neighbourhood was discovered some time ago the head of an elk, an extinct species, the horns of which measured 11 feet from tip to tip. George Ripley, an alchemist, and author of a treatise in metre called the "Compound of Alchemie," written in 1471, was one of the canons of Bridlington Priory. William of Newburgh, who wrote in the reign of King John, and Prior John of Bridlington, who lived in the reign of Edward III., were probably natives of this town. It was also the birthplace (1695) of Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington, by whom Burlington House was erected; and of the famous landscape gardener, Kent, who died in 1748. There are many pleasant seats of the gentry in the neighbourhood; among which are Boynton, the residence of Sir G. Strickland, Bart.; Thorpe Hall, Bessingby, and Sewerby. Lord Cavendish takes from this place the title of earl. Saturday is the market day. Two annual fairs are held on the Monday before Whitsuntide and the 21st October-for the sale of cattle and cloth. They are held on the Green, an open space which was formerly the priory close. Races take place in October."
"BUCKTON, a township in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Bridlington. It is situated near the sea-coast of Flamborough Head."
"EASTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding, county York, 1 mile N.W. of Bridlington."
"GRINDALL, a chapelry in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Bridlington, its post town, and 6 W. of Flamborough. The village is small, and extends along the road from Bridlington to Malton. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £81. The church is a small plain building, rebuilt in 1834. Some remains of Roman tesselated pavement were found here in 1839. Y. Lloyd, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HILDERTHORPE WITH WILSTHORPE, a township in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Bridlington. It is situated on the coast, and has numerous lodging-houses for the accommodation of visitors who resort here for sea-bathing. Harrington Hudson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"MARTON, a township in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Bridlington. It is situated near the coast and Danes Dyke, an ancient ravine extending one mile and a quarter from the southern shore of Flamborough Head. In conjunction with Sewerby it forms a township"
"SEWERBY WITH MARTON, a township in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 1½ mile N.E. of Bridlington, its post town. It is a station on the Scarborough, Bridlington, and Hull railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the coast, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of various qualities. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Grindall, in the diocese of York, value £100 and £81 respectively. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, has a spired tower containing one bell. It was erected in 1847 at the expense of the late Yarburgh Yarburgh, Esq., who died in 1856, and to whom the transept contains a marble tablet. There is a school for both sexes, erected and endowed by the same gentleman. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Sewerby House is the principal residence. George Lloyd, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"SPEETON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 5½ miles N.W. of Bridlington, its post town. It is a station on the Hull, Bridlington, and Scarborough railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near the coast. Numerous flint instruments, spearheads, and other ancient relics have been discovered in this parish. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £50. The church is an ancient stone structure with a turret containing one bell. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"WILSTHORPE, a township in the parish of Bridlington, East Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Bridlington. It is situated near the coast, and is joined to Hilderthorpe."