The Ancient Parish of BRIDLINGTON
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"BRIDLINGTON, or Burlington, or Bridlington Old Town, a parish in the wapentake
of Dickering; 8 miles from Hunmanby; 12 from Driffield, 18 from Scarborough, 40
from York, and 201 from London, by way of Lincoln. This town is situated on the
Eastern coast, about a mile from the shore, in the recess of the commodious and
beautiful bay to which it affords its name. It consists chiefly of one long
irregularly framed street, extending along the Southern declivity of a small
elevation, and its situation is both pleasant and salubrious."
(There is further information for Bridlington).
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Bridlington Quay
- Buckton Hall
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
Priory (St. Mary's) Church, Bridlington (Old Town).
Priory (St. Mary's) Church and the Bayle Gate, Bridlington.
Priory (St. Mary's) Church and the Bayle Gate, Bridlington circa 1920.
The Bayle Gate, Bridlington - now a museum.
Christ Church, Bridlington (Quay).
Holy Trinity Church, Bridlington.
The new Emmanuel Church, Bridlington.
The Methodist Church, Bridlington (Old Town).
Bridlington Quay Methodist Church, Bridlington.
The Baptist Church, Bridlington.
The Pentecostal Church, Bridlington (Quay).
The Harbourside Evangelical Church, Bridlington (Quay).
The Spiritualist Church, Bridlington (Quay).
Our Lady and St. Peter's RC church, Bridlington.
St. Leonard's Church, Speeton.
The Wesleyan Chapel, Speeton.
St Nicholas' Church, Grindale (view 1).
St Nicholas' Church, Grindale (view 2).
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Sewerby (view 1).
The Church of St. John the Evangelist, Sewerby (view 2).
The Methodist Church, Sewerby.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
Bridlington.net: here you will find information relating to all aspects of Bridlington,
whether your interest is that of a potential visitor to the area or a Bridlington resident.
(use the "Menu category" select at the top of the page).
- Circa 1850, the townships of Sewerby-cum-Marton and
Grindale were formed into a separate parish. See
- Between 1823 and 1892, the chapelry of Speeton (in this parish) was
formed into a parish in its own right. See
- Lisa Blosfelds has transcribed the
Reighton and Speeton parish magazines for 1893 to 1913.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient)
parish, but I have no further information on them other than
the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA166706) East Huntow
- (TA189704) Field House
- (TA188710) High Barn
- (TA204708) Lynhams
- (TA191695) Marton Lodge
- (TA154720) North Dale
- (TA174704) North Mount
- (TA172699) The Grange
- (TA164701) West Huntow
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014