|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BURTON AGNES, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; (Burton Agnes Hall, the seat of Sir Francis Boynton, Bart.) 6 miles SW. of Bridlington. Here is a hospital for four poor widows, founded by the widow of the late William Boynton, Esq. and endowed with £20. 10s. per annum, and a quarter of a chaldron of coals. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St Martin, of which the Rev. Thomas Mills, is the vicar, and Mr T. A. Mills patron. -Population, 321.
The family of the Boyntons is of very great antiquity; Bartholomew de Boynton, the first mentioned in the pedigree, died seized of the manor of Boynton, from whence the family were denominated; He lived in 1067. They appear to have come into possession of the manor of Barmston, their ancient seat in this Riding, by the marriage of Henry Boynton, Esq. temp. Henry VII. The first Baronet was Sir Matthew Boynton, created in May, 1618. He served in parliament for the Borough of Hedon, in the reign of Charles I. and married Frances, the daughter of Sir Henry Griffith, of Burton Agnes, Knight and Baronet; by that marriage the manor and estates of Burton came into the Boynton family, Sir Griffith Boynton, the third Baronet being resident there in 1725; the present Baronet being the sixth, was created in 1801. The house of Burton Agnes was designed by Inigo Jones.
Here was born the Rev. William Dade, F.A.S. Rector of Barmston about the year 1740, where his father was then vicar. He had made a large and valuable collection of materials for the history and antiquities of Holderness, proposals for publishing of which, he had printed in 1783. Ill health, and variety of other perplexing engagements delayed the progress of the work; and he died at Barmston, after a short illness, August 2, 1790. See a further account of this respectable divine and antiquary, --in-Nichols' Literary Anecdotes."
"GRANSMOOR, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; 2¾ miles SSE. of Burton Agnes, 7 miles ENE. of Driffield. Pop; 85."
"HAISTHORPE, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¾ miles ENE. of Burton Agnes, 4 miles SW. of Bridlington. Pop. 109."
"MOOR HOUSE, (now Oakwood Farm), a farm house in the township and parish of Burton Agnes; 1¼ miles ESE. of Burton Agnes, 7 miles from Bridlington and Driffield."
"THORNHOLME, in the parish of Burton Agnes, and wapentake of Dickering; ¾ mile ENE. of Burton Agnes, 5 miles SW. of Bridlington. Population, 94."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]