Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Leavening - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Burythorpe is a small parish and township, containing 1,250 acres. Its rateable value is £1,637; and the number of inhabitants, in 1891, was 227. The principal landowners are William Preston, Esq., J.P., Burythorpe House; P. Thompson, Esq., York; T. Preston, Esq., Norton; Col. Duncombe; Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., Sledmere; Lieut.-Col. Herbert, J.P., D.L., Upper Helmsley; J. F. Taylor, Esq., York; St. John's College, Oxford; and the rector of the parish in right of his church. The land is all freehold, and each proprietor owns the manorial rights of his own estate. The surface in some places is boldly undulated, and the scenery attractive. A sandy soil generally prevails; the subsoil is various. Wheat and oats are the chief crops, but a large portion of the land is devoted to pasture.
The village stands about 5 miles south of Malton, and 3½ miles from Kirkham Abbey station, on the York and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of All Saints was rebuilt in 1858, on the site of the old Norman edifice, at a cost of about £800, raised by subscription. It is a handsome structure of stone, in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry and western turret, in which are two bells. The stained east window, which is much admired, was presented by T. Preston, Esq., in memory of his sister, Mary, wife of the late Thomas W. Rivis, Esq., of Newstead House. She died in 1852, and there is a handsome marble tablet to her memory on the south wall. The font is a piece of Norman work, and belonged to the old church. Among the church plate is a chalice, made by Robert Gylmyr, of York, and dated 1370. The church crowns an eminence near the village, and forms a prominent object in the landscape. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value, £320, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held, since 1855, by the Rev. Henry John Walker, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithe rent-charge is £270; there are 25 acres of glebe.
There are Wesleyan and United Free Methodist chapels in the village; the former dates from 1820, and the latter from 1865. The parochial school is a neat structure, built in 1841, for the accommodation of 50 children. It is mixed, and under the care of a mistress. Burythorpe House, the seat of William Preston, Esq., J.P., is pleasantly situated in its own grounds, near the village. be origin of the name Burythorpe is rather obscure. The author of Yorkshire Past and Present derives it from Bun (Norse), rural; and others suppose it to have been so named from a burh, or fort, which is said to have stood on a neighbouring hill.
THORNTHORPE is a hamlet and small manor in this parish belonging to William Taylor Colby, Esq., M.D., Malton. Its area, rateable value, and population are returned with the parish.
Charities. - There are three small rent-charges, amounting to a guinea a year, left by unknown donors. Thomas Preston, Esq., J.P., D.L., of Norton, gave the sum of £75, in memory of his beloved sister, Mary, wife of the late T. W. Rivis, Esq., for the benefit of Burythorpe Clothing Club. This money is invested in the 3 per cent. consols.
Francis Consitt, who died at Burythorpe, in 1768, is said to have attained the patriarchal age of 150. He was maintained by the parish above 60 years, and retained his senses to the last.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.