Parish main page
Wapentake of Holderness (North Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Brandesburton - Petty Sessional Division of North Holderness - County Court District of Beverley - Poor Law Union of Skirlaugh - Rural Deanery of Hornsea - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
Catwick is a parish and township lying between Long Riston and Brandesburton. Its area, according to the Ordnance Survey, is 1,570 acres, and the population in 1891 was 231. For rating purposes the parish is valued at £1,706. The surface is undulated, the soil various, and the subsoil chiefly clay. Wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips are the principal crops. The land belongs to several proprietors, of whom the most extensive are William Bethell, Esq., J.P., of Rise Park, Hull, who is lord of the manor; Henry Strickland Constable, Esq., J.P., Wassand; William Robert Park, Esq., Catwick; William Bainton, Esq., Beverley Parks; Lady Wright, and Mrs. Mary Harland, Pocklington. The allotment system has been in operation here some time, there being about 28 acres let in portions of one acre each.
The earliest notice of this place occurs in Domesday Book, wherein it is called Catingewic, and it had then its church and its mill. Soon after the Conquest the manor came into the possession of the Fauconbergs, one of whom granted a moiety of Catwick to Pomfret Priory; and Sir Simon Wytyk, of Catwick, Knight, gave some lands here to the priory of Nunkeeling, which had been founded by Agnes de Fauconberg. Thomas, Lord Fauconherg, left a daughter and heiress, Johan, who married Sir William Neville, afterwards created Earl of Kent. He died in 1462, leaving three daughters, co-heiresses, amongst whom his estates were divided. Alice, the youngest, married Sir John Conyers, to whom this manor was granted. Subsequently the estate came into the possession of the family of Escrick, from whom it was purchased by an ancestor of the present owner, in the early part of the 18th century.
The village is small, and stands eight miles north-east of Beverley, and five miles south-west of Hornsea. The nearest station is at Sigglesthorne, on the Hull and Hornsea railway, four miles east. The church of St. Michael, a small Gothic structure, comprises chancel, nave, two small transepts, porch, and an embattled western tower, containing two bells. The tower is ancient; the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £1,200, raised by subscription. Previous to the restoration there was a circular headed doorway within the porch, and there were also traces of Norman work in other parts of the church, but these, unfortunately, have not been replaced. The transepts are supposed to have been chantry chapels; each contains a stained-glass memorial window. Built into the north wall of the nave is a small sculptured figure, of ancient workmanship, believed to represent St. Michael. The pulpit is of carved stone. The font is modern. The chancel stalls and prayer desk are of carved oak. The registers date from the year 1587.
The living is a rectory, formerly in the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Pontefract, and now in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. It is worth about £175 per annum, and is held by the Rev. Arthur Hippisley Smith, formerly an officer in the army. There are 61 acres of glebe, and a fixed payment of £90 in lieu of all tithes. The Rectory House was rebuilt in 1863.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the village; the former was built in 1838, and the latter in 1839. The National School is endowed with the interest of £20 left by Mrs. Hannah Smith, in 1792. There are about 25 children in average attendance.
Catwick House is the property and residence of Mr. W. B. Park. At Gildholms is a good fox cover.
CHARITIES - The Rev. James Young, rector of Catwick, who died in 1768, left the interest of £50 to the poor, to be distributed at Christmas and Whitsuntide. Mrs. Mary Young, widow of the above, who died in 1786, left the yearly sum of £2 12s. 6d. for the same purpose. George Gibson, whose will is dated 1774, left the interest of £5; and £20 10s. was left by a person whose name has been forgotten.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.