[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"ELLERTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 9 miles SW. of Pocklington. Here is a chapel dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches
for photograph), of which John Bethell, Esq. is patron, there is also a Methodist chapel. Population, 318
William Fitz-Peter, founded a Priory here for canons of the order of Sempringham or St. Gilbert, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Lawrence, about the year 1221, valued at the dissolution in 1536, at 62L. 8s. 10d. --Dugdale. 78L. 0s. 10d. --Speed. It was surrendered by John Golding, the Prior, and four Friars. The site was granted in exchange to John de Aske, 33rd Henry VIII. --Dugdale. --Burton. The remains of this Priory are now used is a parish church, and in which are some flat stones covering the remains of the Monks, as appears by the inscriptions now nearly obliterated."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]