Parish main page
Wapentake of Harthill (Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Rowley - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish comprises the townships of Elloughton-cum-Brough and Wauldby, embracing a total area of 2,635 acres. The first-named township contains 1,614 acres of land, belonging chiefly to Col.W. H. Harrison-Broadley, J.P., D.L., of Welton House, who is also lord of the manor. T. W. Palmer, Esq., has an estate at Brough, and the North-Eastern Railway Co. own the land occupied by the Hull and Selby railway, which passes through the township, and has a station at Brough. The rateable value is £7,657, of which £2,829 is assessed on the N. E. R. Co. The population in 1891 was 913, an increase of 25 during the past ten years. The soil in the neighbourhood of the river is alluvial, and further inland limy and sandy. The subsoils are chalk and sand. Wheat, barley, oats, and turnips are the chief crops.
The village of Elloughton stands on the road from Hull to Selby, ten miles west-by-north from the former town, and one-and-a-half miles from Brough railway station. The church of St. Mary is a cruciform structure of stone, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1845, and consists of a chancel, nave, transepts, and embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing three bells. The chancel is very spacious, and is entered through a fine lofty Gothic arch. Arches of the same style separate the transepts from the nave. Several of the windows are filled with stained glass. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £330, including 38 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Rev. William Millard Bennett, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted at the enclosure of the parish in 1794.
There are chapels belonging to the Congregationalists, Wesloyans, and Primitive Methodists. The Society of Friends had formerly a place of worship here, and a burial ground; but the latter now belongs to the Congregationalists. The parish school is situated in the village, and is attended by about 100 children.
Brough is a pleasantly situated and thriving village, containing many handsome villa residences, occupied by Hull merchants. It stands in close proximity to the river, across which there was formerly a ferry. There is a station here, on the Hull and Selby railway. The village is lighted with gas by a limited company, formed in 1871. There are two gasholders, with a capacity of 21,000 cubic feet, which also supply gas to Elloughton, Brantingham, South Cave, Welton, Melton, and Ferriby. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, built in 1852. Brough House is a large and substantial residence in the Italian style, erected about 130 years ago by an ancestor of T. W. Palmer, Esq., J.P., the present owner and occupier. The grounds are tastefully laid out, and a fine lawn stretches in front.
There is no appearance of antiquity about the village, yet its name, Brough (from burg, a fortified place), declares its importance as far hack as the days of our Saxon forefathers. Horsley and other antiquarians suppose that the Roman station Petuaria stood here, on the great Roman road between Lincoln and York, which they believe crossed the Humber at Brough Ferry. This is, however, doubted by many good authorities, and, with the exception of some Roman coins recently found in Bosses Field, no remains have been discovered to give a colouring of probability to the supposition. Traces of the early Britons have been met with. In 1719, a large number of celts was found, each one enclosed in a mould or case of metal.
WAULDBY is a township containing 990 acres of land, rateable value, £1,058; and population (1891), 63. Col. William Harrison-Broadley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The village is small, and stands about two miles north-east of Elloughton and four miles east-by-south of South Cave. There is a small chapel-of-ease, rebuilt in 1835 on the site of an ancient one, at the expense of Mrs. Raikes, who was then owner of the land. It is in the Early English style, and contains several stained glass windows. Divine service is held each Sunday afternoon, except on the first Sunday of the month.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.