Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ESCRICK.     Church dedication: ST. HELEN.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 6,400 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapentake. -Population, 896 *2; Church-room, 600; Net value, £530. - Picot de Lascels gave two oxgangs of land at Escrick to the Abbey of Selby.

By an escheat in 18th Edward I., it appears that Roger de Lascels held lands here of the Prioress of Thickheved.

The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Lascells, knights, after them of the Knyvets, and now of the Thompsons.

Patron, P. Beilby Thompson, Esq.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £30; in the King's books, at £23. 3s. 8d.; Synodals and Procurations, 12s. 6d.; 6d. per annum to St. Mary's Abbey ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 302, at £120 per annum.

27th July 1759, faculty to rebuild the gallery and re-pew the Church.

22nd November 1803, ditto granted to erect a monument in the Church to the memory of Beilby Thompson, Esq.

An Act was passed 21st Geo. III. c. 76, for building a new Church and Rectory house, and for exchange of lands, and the new Church and churchyard were consecrated on the 13th October 1783.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1617: chasm 1688 to 1718. -Vide transcripts at York.

Charities:
John and Margaret Cooke's charity (date not given). rent charge of 26s. per annum, out of lands in Skipwith Fields, for bread, to be given every Lord's day in the Church among six poor people that shall frequent divine service, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens.

John Neville's gift (date not given): £26, directed to be paid into the hands of Beilby or Richard Thompson, Esq., the interest to be given to the poor widows and old maids of Escrick, either at Christmas altogether, or in white bread every Sunday, in the Church, at the discretion of the above-named gentleman ; and the donor desired that the bread might be given to those only who go to Church every Sunday, and hear both the Common Prayer and the sermon.

Poor's Land. 3a. 0r. 16p., with a stable, situate in Fishergate, near York (subject to tithes). The rent is distributed among the poor by the minister and churchwardens. The township of Deighton claims one-fourth part of the rent. -Vide 11th Report, page 770.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 403. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 11. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ascri), page 118; (Distone), 118. Burton's Monasticon, pages 280. 394. Bodleian MS. No. 5078. Gent's Ripon, page 58.


Notes:
*1 Bodleian MS., No. 5078-written there "Escrynton."

*2 Viz. Deighton, 179; and Escrick, 717, -In 1834, the population was returned at 900.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.