Area, 6,400 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapentake. -Population, 896 *2; Church-room, 600; Net value, £530. - Picot de Lascels gave two oxgangs of land at Escrick to the Abbey of Selby.
By an escheat in 18th Edward I., it appears that Roger de Lascels held lands here of the Prioress of Thickheved.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Lascells, knights, after them of the Knyvets, and now of the Thompsons.
Patron, P. Beilby Thompson, Esq.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £30; in the King's books, at £23. 3s. 8d.; Synodals and Procurations, 12s. 6d.; 6d. per annum to St. Mary's Abbey ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 302, at £120 per annum.
27th July 1759, faculty to rebuild the gallery and re-pew the Church.
22nd November 1803, ditto granted to erect a monument in the Church to the memory of Beilby Thompson, Esq.
An Act was passed 21st Geo. III. c. 76, for building a new Church and Rectory house, and for exchange of lands, and the new Church and churchyard were consecrated on the 13th October 1783.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1617: chasm 1688 to 1718. -Vide transcripts at York.
John and Margaret Cooke's charity (date not given). rent charge of 26s. per annum, out of lands in Skipwith Fields, for bread, to be given every Lord's day in the Church among six poor people that shall frequent divine service, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens.
John Neville's gift (date not given): £26, directed to be paid into the hands of Beilby or Richard Thompson, Esq., the interest to be given to the poor widows and old maids of Escrick, either at Christmas altogether, or in white bread every Sunday, in the Church, at the discretion of the above-named gentleman ; and the donor desired that the bread might be given to those only who go to Church every Sunday, and hear both the Common Prayer and the sermon.
Poor's Land. 3a. 0r. 16p., with a stable, situate in Fishergate, near York (subject to tithes). The rent is distributed among the poor by the minister and churchwardens. The township of Deighton claims one-fourth part of the rent. -Vide 11th Report, page 770.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 403. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 11. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ascri), page 118; (Distone), 118. Burton's Monasticon, pages 280. 394. Bodleian MS. No. 5078. Gent's Ripon, page 58.
*1 Bodleian MS., No. 5078-written there "Escrynton."
*2 Viz. Deighton, 179; and Escrick, 717, -In 1834, the population was returned at 900.