"ESCRICK, a parish in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Deighton and Escrick, and containing 716 inhabitants, of which number, 548 are in the township of Escrick, 6 miles S.E. from York. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £23. 3. 9. Henry Gale, Esq. was patron in 1827. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a handsome structure, built about fifty years ago by Beilby Thompson, Esq., on the site of the prior edifice."
"DEIGHTON, a township in the parish of ESCRICK, wapentake of OUZE-AND-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from York, containing 168 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]