"ARGAM, (extra-parochial), in the wapentake of Dickering; 4 miles SSE. of Hunmanby. --Pop. 38. It is a rectory, in the deanry of Dickering, value, +2L. 13s. 4d. Patron, Charles Grimston, Esq.
Ergham, given to the Abbey of Bardensey, was one of the chapels of Hunmanby, but continued a rectory, though it was endowed as a vicarage. The Church and living are both gone. The tenant of the farm pays tithe for 4L. per annum. No institution since 1605."
"BRIND LEYS, (extra-parochial), or Bourne Leys, in Holme-Beacon division of Harthill; 3¼ miles from Howden, 9 from Selby. --Pop. 7."
"HALTEMPRICE, (or Howden Price) (extra-parochial) in the wapentake of Harthill; 4½ miles NW. of Hull. This was formerly a priory, but now a farm house.
Thomas, Lord Wake of Liddel, founded a monastery here about the year 1324, (originally begun at Cottingham, in 1322) for canons of the order of St. Austin, or black canons, and dedicated it in honour of the nativity of our blessed Saviour, the annunciation of the Virgin Mary, and the exaltation of the Holy Cross, though generally distinguished by the latter. John de Meaux of Berwick, anno 1361, gave to the Prior and convent of this house, his manor of Willardby, &c. (conditionally) for six canons to celebrate for the souls of him and his ancestors, matins, mass, vespers, and complin, &c. About the time of the dissolution, herein were a Prior and 11 or 12 black canons, who where endowed with 178L. 0s. 10½d. --Speed. 100L. 0s. 2½d. --Dugdale. The site was granted 32nd Henry VIII. to Thomas Culpepper. -Burton. -Dugdale."
"KIRKHAM, (extra-parochial) in the wapentake of Buckrose; 6 miles SW. of Malton. Pop 7.
Kirkham, which signifies the place of a Church, is situated in a delightful vale, on the eastern banks of the Derwent. Here Walter de Espec and his wife, Adeline, in 1121-2, founded a Priory of Cannons regular, of the order of St. Austin, to the honour of the Holy Trinity; which be endowed with seven Churches, and which were appropriated thereto. The reason assigned for his building this Priory, will be founded under the article Rievalx. --At the dissolution it was valued at 269L. 5s. 9d. --Dugdale; 300L. 15s. 6d. --Speed; and was surrendered in 1539, by John de Kildwick, Prior, and seventeen Cannons. In 32nd Henry VIII. it was granted to Sir Henry Knevet, Knight, and Ann, his wife; but in the 3rd Edward VI. the Earl of Rutland held it "de rege in capite per servic. militar." to whom Queen Elizabeth, in the 5th year of her reign, gave license to alienate this manor, with those of Billesdale, Stiperlow, and Rievalx, to Edward Jackman, and Richard Lambert. --Burton. The principal part that remains of this Priory, consists of a beautiful Gateway, a fine Saxon Norman Doorway, and part of the Cloisters.
The priory is situated in a delightful vale, watered by the Derwent, and the scattered ruins (see Churches for photograph) of this venerable structure sufficiently evince its ancient magnificence. A noble Gothic tower, beautifully covered with ivy stood till the year 1784, when it was blown down by a high wind. The property belongs to Henry Leatham Esq. of Barton. The chapel of Kirkham is dedicated to the Holy Trinity."
"LITTLE KELK, (extra-parochial) in the wapentake of Dickering; 6 miles ENE. of Driffield: Population 51."
"SUNK ISLAND, (extra-parochial), in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 8 miles SE. of Hedon.- This island was formerly a part of the river Humber, and about a century ago contained only about 800 acres of land, but from the perpetual warping of the tides since that period, it now contains about 5000 acres, in a state of high cultivation. There is also a fine tract of land at the east end of the island, which has been warped since the last embankment in 1800, which it is expected, will be saved in a few years from the overflowing of the tides. The island is preserved from the encroachments of the Humber, by strong banks being raised around it, except on the north side, where it is separated from the main land by a drain extending from Stone Creek to Winestead Clough, at which two places the tides are confined by the junction banks from the main land to Sunk Island. This land belongs to the crown. That part which was first embanked, was originally about two miles from the shore, and many persons are living, who recollect vessels passing between it and the main land, to which it is now united by a bridge across a narrow channel, which serves as a drain to the adjacent country. There is here a small chapel of the Church of England, at present unconsecrated, under the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The Rev. Robert Metcalfe, curate. Population, 216."