"FRIDAYTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Pocklington, its post town, and 10 W. of Driffield. It is situated on the Wolds, near the Malton and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern railway, the village being nearly equidistant from the Fimber and Burdale stations on that line. The York and Bridlington main road passes through the parish, which in some parts is sufficiently elevated to command a prospect over the country to the German Ocean, with Flamborough Head and its lighthouse to the N.E. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £112, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient structure of Norman architecture with low tower. Some portions of the edifice are in good preservation, while others are much defaced or hidden by wash and brickwork. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls. Lord Londesborough is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013