Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Buckrose - County Council Electoral Division of Huggate - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington - Rural Deanery of Settrington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish comprises 2,070 acres of land, lying entirely on the Wolds, and in the midst of a fine agricultural district. The soil is light and chalky, and the subsoil chalk. Wheat, oats, barley, peas, tares, and turnips are the chief crops. The rateable value is £1,757, and the population in 1891 was 280. The land belongs to several proprietors, the principal of whom are the Earl of Londesborough - who is lord of the manor, - Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., Sledmere; Robert and Elgey Wharram; Mrs. Mary Wharram; Mr. C. Jewison, Brantingham Thorpe; Mr. Thomas Mitchell, Malton; and the vicars of Fridaythorpe and Luttons Ambo.
The village stands on a large extent of ground at a considerable elevation, whence an extensive view, embracing Flamborough Lighthouse and the sea, is obtained. The road from York to Driffield passes through the village, at a distance of 18 miles east from the former, and 10 miles west from the latter. The nearest station is Burdale, 2½ miles north, on the Malton and Driffield branch of the North-Eastern Railway. The church of St. Mary is a low ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Gothic styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western tower containing two bells. There was formerly a north aisle, and the Norman arcade which divided it from the nave still remains, but built up in the north wall. On one of the pillars is inscribed, "This 713 found here,"whatever that may mean. The chancel arch is Norman, and the inner doorway of the porch is of the same style, consisting of three chevron mouldings, resting on pillars with carved capitals. The ancient sedilia remains in the south wall of the chancel, and the oaken roof is apparently of considerable age. The latter was damaged by a gale of wind in 1886, and was subsequently repaired. The altar rails and pulpit are also ancient pieces of oak-work. The font is circular and carved, and apparently of very great age. The nave retains its old-fashioned high-backed pews. The registers date back to 1620. The living is a vicarage, valued in the Liber Regis at £4 13s. 4d., and now worth about £220 nett, with residence. The patronage formerly belonged to the prebendary of Wetwang, from whom it was transferred some years ago to the Archbishop of York. The present incumbent is the Rev. Thomas Haycroft Barton, of St. Bees. At the inclosure, in 1810, about 827 acres of land were allotted in lieu of the great tithes, and 282 acres in lieu of the small tithes.
The Wesleyan Centenary Chapel was built in 1840. It is a small and very plain edifice of brick, capable of seating 60 persons. The Primitive Methodists have also a chapel in the village, erected in 1851, at a cost of £120. It was refurnished in 1886, at an expense of £90, and will accommodate 70 persons.
The School was built in 1841, and, on the formation of a School Board in 1880, it was transferred to that body. It is mixed, and under the care of a master.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016