|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"FULFORDS AMBO, (now known simply as Fulford), a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; consisting of Gate Fulford and Water Fulford."
"GATE FULFORD, in the parish of Fulfords Ambo, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent; ¼ mile SSE. of Fulfords Ambo, 1½ mile S. of York, a pleasant village containing several good dwelling houses. The chapel is dedicated to St. Oswald (see Churches for photograph); Mr. Key is the patron, and the Rev. Robt Sutton, A. B. perpetual curate. There is here a slenderly endowed school for 20 boys or girls. Pop. 182.
Here in 1066, Harald Hardrada, king of Norway, defeated the Northumbrians, and took York, commanded by Morchar, the governor of York, and Edwin, Earl of Chester. --Drake. The Quakers retreat and York barracks are are in this township."
"WATER FULFORD, in the parish of Fulfords Ambo, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; ½ mile SSW. of Fulfords Ambo, 2½ miles S. of York. Population, 35."