[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"GANTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; (Ganton Halt, the seat of Sir Thomas Legard, Bart.) 8 miles W. of Hunmanby. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas (see Churches
for photograph), and the patronage is in the ancient and honourable family of Legard, who have their seat here. Pop. with Brompton, 278.
The family of Legards is of Norman extraction, who became possessed of the lordship of Anlaby, near Hull, in 1100, by the marriage of the heiress of that estate. The first of the family that settled here, was John, commonly distinguished by the name of John de Ganton, younger son of Ralph Legard of Anlaby, Esq. His great grandson, John Legard, was created a Baronet in 1660 and died at Ganton in 1678: his family have flourished here ever since. In the church there are several monuments and a vault belonging to this family. --Hist. of Scarborough."
"GANTON DALE INN, in the parish of Ganton, and wapentake of Dickering; 2½ miles SE. of Ganton, 10 miles WSW. of Hunmanby. A posting-house on the road from Driffield to Scarborough."
"POTTER BROMPTON, in the parish of Ganton, and wapentake of Dickering; ¾ mile WSW. of Ganton, 9 miles W. of Hunmanby. Population with Ganton, 278."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]