[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"GANTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; (Ganton Halt, the seat of Sir
Thomas Legard, Bart.) 8 miles W. of Hunmanby. The church is dedicated to St.
Nicholas (see Churches for photograph), and the patronage is in the ancient and honourable family of
Legard, who have their seat here. Pop. with Brompton, 278.
The family of Legards is of Norman extraction, who became possessed of the
lordship of Anlaby, near Hull, in 1100, by the marriage of the heiress of that
estate. The first of the family that settled here, was John, commonly
distinguished by the name of John de Ganton, younger son of Ralph Legard of
Anlaby, Esq. His great grandson, John Legard, was created a Baronet in 1660 and
died at Ganton in 1678: his family have flourished here ever since. In the
church there are several monuments and a vault belonging to this family. --Hist.
"GANTON DALE INN, in the parish of Ganton, and wapentake of Dickering;
2½ miles SE. of Ganton,
WSW. of Hunmanby. A posting-house on the road from Driffield to Scarborough."
"POTTER BROMPTON, in the parish of Ganton, and wapentake of Dickering; ¾ mile
WSW. of Ganton, 9 miles W. of Hunmanby. Population with Ganton, 278."
A book entitled "The Ganton Village School Managers' Minute Book: The History of Ganton Village School, in the East Riding of Yorkshire between 1903 - 1941"
has been published by Wayne Cronin-Wojdat, B.A (Hons), MSc. ISBN-10: 1482364468, ISBN-13: 978-1482364460.
For more details, please
or phone 01978 330025.