|Yorkshire||East RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HALSHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 4 miles NW. of Patrington. This village consists chiefly of a number of respectable farm houses, scattered at irregular distances from each other. The Church is an ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to All Saints, of which Lord Montague is the patron, and the Rev. Charles Mace, the rector. On a small eminence stands a stately Mausoleum, built of the best white free stone, faced with polished marble, and in the centre an elegant monument in memory of the late Sir William Constable, Bart. of Burton Constable, who lies here, surrounded by the ancestors of that ancient family. The erection of this superb structure cost the sum of £10,000. Sir John Constable, of Kirkby Knowle, 1584, left by will the sum of £80. per annum, to be paid out of his estate forever, for the following purposes -£20. for the education of 8 poor children, £24. to furnish the aforesaid children with satchels, books, &c and £32. to be distributed amongst eight poor old men, and £4. to two poor old women, with the hospital erected for their use. Pop. 315."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]