"HAYTON, a parish in the Holme Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding county York, 15 miles from York, and 2 S.E. of Pocklington, its post town and railway station. The village is situated on a branch of the river Derwent, near the canal. The parish contains the township of Bielby. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil various. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Bealby, £288, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, situated on rising ground, is dedicated to St. Martin, and has a tower containing three bells. The charities produce about £29 per annum. A schoolroom was erected in 1851 by William Henry Rudston Read, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. Hayton House, the principal residence, is situated N.E. of the village."
"BIELBY, (or Bealby), a chapelry in the parish of Hayton, wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles from Pocklington. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Hayton, in the diocese of York."