"HEDON, a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire, (given as "Headon"), 141 cm. 172 mm. from London, is a pleasant, little, well-built T. in Holderness, on a r. that falls into the Humber. 'Tis also written Heddon, or Heydon, and is very ancient. K. John granted it to the E. of Albemarle for a Free-Bor. so that the burgesses of it should hold in freeburgage, in as full a manner as the burgesses of York and Lincoln. It was formerly considerable in merchants and shipping; and though it has but one Ch. there are the remains of two more. It makes no very great appearance now; which is ascribed to the neighbourhood of Hull, and to its harbour being choaked, the sea having so much encroached upon this shore, as to have swallowed up many of its Ts. There is a cut made on the S. E. part of the T. which helps to scower that part of the haven which is left; but there is no hopes of rendering it as useful as formerly. In 1656 great part of the T. was burnt down, as were, not many years since, many houses in the Mt.- place; but the greatest part is rebuilt, and the T. thereby rendered much more beautiful; and of late years it is grown richer, which is chiefly ascribed to its frequent Fairs that are held every fortnight. Its Mt. is on S. 'Tis a corp. with a mayor, recorder, 9 ald. and 2 bailiffs, who have the power of sheriffs, and are justices of the peace. There's a prison and court here bel. to the Visc. Dunbar, who has the signiory of Holderness; and it sends two members to Pt."