|Holme On Spalding Moor
"HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, but chiefly in the Holme - Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Market-Weighton, containing 1318 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at. & 10, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice standing on an eminence which commands a fine and extensive prospect, in which York minster is a prominent object. Upon this mount is the beacon from which the division of the wapentake derives its name, and near it is a bed of gypsum, containing also ammonite, or snake stones. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, besides two Roman Catholic chapels. According to tradition, a cell was founded by the Vavasours, or the Constables, on the edge of the moor, for two monks, one of whom acted as a guide to travellers across that extensive waste, the other praying for their safety. The shock of an earthquake was felt here on the night of the 18th of January, 1822. -."