"HORNSEA, (or Hornsea with Burton), a parish in the N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 16 miles N.E. of Hull, and 13 from Beverley. It is situated near the York and North Midland branch railway, and was formerly a market town. In this parish is Hornsea-Mere, a fresh-water lake covering about 430 acres, and well stocked with fish. The town, which stands about half a mile from the sea, consists principally of four well-built streets. It is a coastguard station and watering place. There is an hotel and several inns and lodging-houses. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil clay and gravel. The village of Hornsea Beck was a few years ago entirely washed away by the sea, which is still progressively advancing. The living is a vicarage* with the rectory of Long Riston annexed, in the diocese of York, value £382, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and formerly had a spire, which was blown' down in 1710. The church has a crypt and Lady chapel. The charities produce about £119, of which £111 belongs to the Church estate. The National school for both sexes was erected in 1845; there is also an infant school supported by Lady Strickland. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Lord Westbury is lord of the manor. Fairs are held on the 13th August and 17th December for the sale of horses and cattle, and a statute fair on the first Monday after Martinmas."
"BURTON, a united parish, in the parish of Hornsea, in the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding of the county of York."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013