"HOWDEN, a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire, 139 cm. 173 mm. from London, stands on the N. side of the Ouse, has a Mt. on S. and a Fair Sept. 14, for 9 days; which is constantly resorted to by the Londoners, whereby the traders all round the country are furnished with all sorts of goods by wholesale. Here was formerly a collegiate Ch. of 5 prebendaries, erected in the last century but one; to which the Bps. of Durham, who have many estates hereabouts, with a temporal jurisdiction, have a palace adjacent. Walter Skirlaw, one of them, built a very tall steeple to the Ch. here, that the inh. might retire to it, in case of inundations; to which it is very liable from the great freshes that come down the Ouse sometimes, at ebb. This part of the Co. is from hence called Howdenshire, and is watered by a conflux of several large rs. that fall into the Humber. At Plowdendike is a ferry over the Ouse."
"METHAM, in the parish of Howden, in the E.R. of Yorkshire, (given as "METHUM"), to the E. of Howdendike-Ferry, was the seat of an ancient family, to which it also gave name. In the neighbouring moors, about 1 m. from the military road, was discovered a Roman pottery, where they made their urns; and pieces of broken urns, and cinders, are often found there."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]