The Ancient Parish of HOWDEN
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HOWDEN, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 9 miles from
Snaith, 10 from Selby, and 21 from, York. The population amounts to 2080. Here
is a very good market on Saturday. This town is of considerable antiquity, but
it contains nothing remarkable except its church, formerly collegiate, and the
remains of the ancient palace of the bishops of Durham."
(There is further information for Howden).
Information on the following places in
this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Barmby On The Marsh
- Barnhill Hall
- Carr House
- East Linton
- Howden Grange
- Kilpin Pike
- New Fields
- New Land
- Nova Scotia
- Sand Hall
- Thorpe Lidget
- West Linton
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
Atwick (on the Driffield on line site).
- In 1858, the chapelry of Barmby on the Marsh (in this parish)
became a parish in its own right. See
Barmby on the Marsh Parish.
- Also in 1858 the townships of Laxton, Cotness, Metham, Saltmarshe, and Yokefleet, all previously
in this parish were separated to form the
Parish of Laxton.
- In 1882 a civil parish was formed from detached parts of various townships in this parish.
- Susan Butler's
Howden web-site has a brief history of Howden,
along with Directory and Census transcriptions.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014