|Yorkshire||East Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"HULL ST MARY, a parish in the county of Kingston upon Hull. The Church of St. Mary, was built before the year 1333, a licence to perform divine offices, &c. therein being then granted, by Archbishop Melton, to the prior and brethren of Ferriby, for the conveniences of that part of the town of Hull which was in their parish. It was formerly more magnificent than it is at present, the greater part of it being demolished by Henry VIII. because it obstructed the prospect from his manor house, when nothing was left standing but the chancel. Part of the materials of the nave and the steeple were employed to enlarge and repair the manor house, and the rest in constructing the block houses which Henry caused to be erected on the eastern bank of the river Hull. In this state of comparative ruin the church remained, till about the year 1570, when a considerable addition was made to the east end of the chancel, by the parishioners, but for more than a century it stood without a Steeple; in 1696 the present steeple was begun, and in the following year it was completed. St Mary's was to Ferriby, what the Holy Trinity was to Hessle, but it is now a parochial chapelry, of which Samuel Thornton, Esq. is the patron; the Rev. John Scott, M. A. the incumbent; and the Rev. William Wilson, the curate. Divine service commences, both in summer and winter, at the same hour as at Trinity Church; there is also service in the evening, which commences at half-past six o'clock. See also Hull."