We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for HUMBLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

HUMBLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HUMBLETON, a parish in the middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 9½ miles N.E. of Hull, and 5 N.E. of Hedon, its railway station and nearest money-order office. It contains the townships of Humbleton, Danthorpe, Elstronwick, Flinton, and Fitling. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* with that of Elstronwick annexed, in the diocese of York, value £230, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a square embattled tower. It contains an oil-painting of the Transfiguration, after Raphael, presented by Miss Dixon as an altar-piece. The charities consist of about £70 per annum, the produce of a farm bequeathed by Francis Heron in 1718. Out of this estate a free school has been erected for both sexes, and a part has been recently exchanged for other lands. Lord Hotham is lord of the manor."


"DANTHORPE, a township in the parish of Humbleton, in the middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. of Hull. The Hon. A. Coventry is lord of the manor."


"ELSTRONWICK, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1½ mile S. of Humbleton, and 4 miles N.E. of Hedon. The Keyingham Level Drain passes through the township. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the vicarage of Humbleton, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The chapel-of-ease is a plain structure, built in the reign of Henry VIII., and contains monuments of the Bell family. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is an endowed free school."


"FITLING, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Humbleton, and 6 N.E. of Hedon."


"FLINTON, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Humbleton, and 4 miles N.E. of Hedon. The Wesleyans erected a chapel here in 1855."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013