GENUKI Home page    Humbleton Parish<br>main page Humbleton
Parish
main page

HUMBLETON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HUMBLETON, a parish in the middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Hull, and 5 N.E. of Hedon, its railway station and nearest money-order office. It contains the townships of Humbleton, Danthorpe, Elstronwick, Flinton, and Fitling. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* with that of Elstronwick annexed, in the diocese of York, value 230, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a square embattled tower. It contains an oil-painting of the Transfiguration, after Raphael, presented by Miss Dixon as an altar-piece. The charities consist of about 70 per annum, the produce of a farm bequeathed by Francis Heron in 1718. Out of this estate a free school has been erected for both sexes, and a part has been recently exchanged for other lands. Lord Hotham is lord of the manor."


"DANTHORPE, a township in the parish of Humbleton, in the middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 8 miles N.E. of Hull. The Hon. A. Coventry is lord of the manor."


"ELSTRONWICK, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Humbleton, and 4 miles N.E. of Hedon. The Keyingham Level Drain passes through the township. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the vicarage of Humbleton, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The chapel-of-ease is a plain structure, built in the reign of Henry VIII., and contains monuments of the Bell family. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is an endowed free school."


"FITLING, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Humbleton, and 6 N.E. of Hedon."


"FLINTON, a township in the parish of Humbleton, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Humbleton, and 4 miles N.E. of Hedon. The Wesleyans erected a chapel here in 1855."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014