GENUKI Home page    Humbleton Parish Humbleton
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Humbleton:


"DANTHORPE, a small hamlet, in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness (the seat of the late Sir Henry Etherington, Bart.); 1 miles SE. of Humbleton, 6 miles NE. of Hedon. Pop. 52."


"ELSTRONWICK, in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 miles S. of Humbleton, 5 miles NE. of Hedon. In this hamlet there is a small Chapel of Ease, apparently of great antiquity (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. John Dixon is incumbent; also a Free School with a small endowment. Population, 154"


"FITLING, a small hamlet, in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 miles E. of Humbleton, 6 miles NE. of Hedon. Pop. 119.

In this village was born the late Rear Admiral Starr; he was first promoted to the command of a sloop of war in 1746, and advanced to be captain of the "Gloucester", in 1748. He was one of the captains ordered out to the Mediterranean, in 1756, to take command of those ships on that station, whose Captains had been ordered home to England to give evidence on the trial of Admiral Byng. The ship allotted him was the "Revenge", in which ship he continued for a considerable length of time. He distinguished himself extremely in 1768, in the attack of the Orphee, a large French ship of war, mounting 64 guns; in this encounter he was wounded in the leg by a splinter, which tore away his calf. He again signalised himself in 1759, in the attack and defeat of Conflans. In 1779, he was advanced to be Rear Admiral of the White, and afterwards to the same rank in the Red squadron in 1780. He died at Bath in the year 1783. --Charnock's Naval Biog. vol. vi."


"FLINTON, in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 mile NNW. of Humbleton, 6 miles NE. of Hedon. Population 125."


"GRANGE HOUSE, a farm house in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 4 miles from Hedon."


"LONGBROUGH LANE HOUSE, in the township of Fitling and parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles E. of Humbleton, 8 miles from Hedon."


"MOOR HOUSE, in the parish of Humbleton, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1 miles WNW. of Humbleton, 5 miles from Hedon."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014